Title

4.22.2005

The Possibilities Remain As Such...

Fortunately they have not yet lapsed into the failures and rejections to which I am accustomed. I've been subtly reminding the magazine publisher of my existence with letters. Although they had told me they would be nearer to a decision early this week, when I called, they told me they were interviewing new candidates though the week. I'm not sure whether that means they are passing on me, or if they are just looking at more people than they anticipated. I will try bugging them again next week and see if I can get any more information.

The interview at the gallery went quite well, contrary to my attitude beforehand. I did end up telling them about my former affiliation with one of their artists. Their reaction was relatively neutral; they did ask me what I thought about that experience, but certainly that little bit of information did not stand to make or break my application. At the end of the interview I was told, "As you might expect, we have a number of outstanding candidates..." which is the beginning of a rejection if I have ever heard one. However the statement continued, "of which you are certainly one." I heaved an audible sigh of relief at this point, because although I was not anticipating having much interest in this place, rejection still stings like a bitch. I received a call form them today, asking me to come in for a second interview with the owner and other staff. "Dress nice," said the man. As you might have guessed from this reminder, the gallery is of the Upper East Side persuasion. I'm not sure how much I would enjoy it, but it is a job.

I also received a call today about the hedge fund. I found out earlier that they were interested in meeting me, and today we set a date. Apparently, getting an interview with this place is a big honor, as they respond to very few applications. Although of course they end up hiring a similarly small number of the applicants they interview. I did some research on the company and I really like their attitude. I was told that they are considered a very fun place to work, and although they are an investment firm, they do not work the normal crazy I-banking hours. Further, contrary to my initial thoughts, my art background will probably not be a hindrance, as it has been for some businesses. Both this interview and the gallery interview go down on Tuesday. Watch yourselves, storm's a-brewin'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home