Title

3.27.2005

In A Valley

After a decent run of good interviews and prospects, I find myself back in one of the ruts on my bipolar sine curve life. Still no word from the those two places... It's been two weeks. Ironically, my personal relationships seem to have a lifespan of about two weeks, after which they tend to fizzle out, so it seems appropriate that I deem these prospects dead and gone. I need to get back on the resume flooding.

Last week's interviews were essentially preliminary meetings. At the art gallery, I met with a frazzled Assisstant Director who stumbled through the interview far more awkwardly than I. Bear in mind that at this point, I have had more interviews than many people go through in their entire lives, so I was bound to enter one where I was more composed than my superior. It was painfully clear that they desperately needed another person on staff. The good news with this one is that they are interviewing a very few people, and that I was the first one they called. However, provided they are still interested in me, I would have to go in for another interview with the Owner/Director. I expect that will take place later this week.

The talent agency "interview" was an interesting experience, as it is one of the first I've had that was located in the Midtown/business area. For the most part, my interest have brought me to Chelsea or Clinton, and occasionally the Upper East Side and the Flatiron District. This place, on the other hand, is smack dab in the midst of people who wear suits. I didn't really interview though. I went in, filled out an application, and took a few tests: one tested my proofreading abilities, and another tested my typing speed. I passed both, with 38 out of 40 on the former and 49 wpm on the latter, which qualified me to return. So tomorrow I am going back to meet with someone in Human Resources (not the person I would be working for if hired.) I'm not sure whether I would have to go back another time to meet my potential boss. Regardless, this is an amazing opportunity, which I really want, and I have the guy at the staffing agency backing me.

I think I have to convince myself of my desire. Sometimes I only realize my ambivalence in retropsect, and how it may have hurt me. I have the drive, but have trouble articulating it when I am asked about my career goals. I don't know why, but I never find the words, "I want this," escaping my mouth. So whether this is an actual obstacle or a figment of my imagination, I am consciously going to attack it this time around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home