Title

2.16.2005

Another Approach

I just got back from an interview at a recruiting agency. I'm not sure why, but I was incredibly wary going into the interview. Recruiters have a bad reputation, although I don't understand the reasoning behind this. My best guess is that many "staffing agencies" just provide temps for big corporations, with no possibilities for career advancement. This agency seems like more of the headhunter variety of recruiter, which is better. I interviewed with two people, neither of whom will actually be making the hiring decision, because they are just client representatives. Then I took a computer exam which tested my skills in MS Office, except it was really bad software which only allows things to be done one way, and marks you wrong if you do it differently. [e.g. it asked me to save the document, and I hit Ctrl+s, which was wrong, the program demanded you use the File menu.] Needless to say, my performance came out average because I didn't do everything the way the computer expected.

One strange, and slightly unnerving question I was asked was, "Are you comfortable working for a woman?" Granted, the corporate world is old-fashioned, but I found this question offensive. Call me a Gen Y-er, but I just don't think it was an appropriate question. What if they asked, "Are you comfortable working for an African-American?" That would be completely un-PC, so how is the original question any different? Are they asking if I'm sexist? I assume any Equal Opportunity Employer would be expecting all of their workers to be equal opportunity employees. After an awkward pause, I mentioned that I worked under a woman for both of my recent internships. In fact, I think my being male probably reduces my chances of being hired by woman. Women might feel obligated to support their gender by hiring another woman, or there they might anticipate awkwardness if they aren't accustomed to being dominant in relationships with men. Personally, I wouldn't have given it any consideration, but I suppose its comparable to when you spot a couple with a man who is shorter than his girlfriend. Although nobody would ever object to the relationship (like they might an interracial relationship,) it does violate social norms, and can create a distinctly uncomfortable dynamic for others. What do you think?

UPDATE: Chalk up another tick mark on the expanding list of diverse occupations for which I have been considered. Tuesday's interview is at a market research firm. I never thought I would be applying for a job with "Analyst" in the title. Or "Junior" for that matter... But desperation calls for unorthodoxy.

2 Comments:

  • I think women are probably more likely to be harsh critics of other women..but I'd be more comfortable interviewing with a woman and would likely perform better in the interview. I doubt women make championing their gender a big priority, although maybe in traditionally male-dominated fields that would be different.

    ps-hi jesse.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:31 PM  

  • I'm inclined to agree. Looking back at my post, it seems like it could even be construed as sexist. However, I'm not going to change it or anything. I've had a penchant for stirring up controversy about sensitive issues [i.e. sexuality while studying in Italy, and race in a text-laden drawing with a phrase taken out of context.] These are stories are actually pretty thorught-provoking and hilarious, but this is not the place for them.

    By Blogger jaggd, at 4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home