Title

3.13.2005

Living On A Prayer

I'll start off with a rundown of last week's interviews.
  • The video editing interview did not occur. It was cancelled due to a scheduling conflict, but I have no way of knowing whether that was just a way of blowing me off, or if there was a legitimate conflict. I was expecting a call to reschedule, but that never happened.
  • During one of the gallery interviews, I was told that my answer to one of the questions did not put me in a good position. Aside from that one questions, I performed damn well. This was the interview where they felt it necessary to test me. However, it turned out to be more than just writing. First, I had to complete a few tasks in Photoshop and Dreamweaver while the interviewer looked over my shoulder. Apparently, lots of people lie about their computer abilities on their resumes. Not I. Then I had to take a slide quiz, matching images with artists. I got maybe half, but I'm guessing that relative to other people, that is quite good. Finally, I had to write some business correspondence. All this for a job I'm probably not going to get because of the question, "What is your ultimate career goal?" Usually this isn't a right or wrong question, but in this case it was. The right answer was "Gallery Director", which is not currently my career goal. Namely because I honestly do not know what I want to do, and the answer I've been giving to that question leans more to the creative side, such as "Creative Director". So I will probably be turned down in favor of someone who is less qualified, and had the foresight to lie about their career goals.
  • The other gallery interview went much better. At first I was placed in an awkward situation, because the Co-director who was supposed to speak with me had lost her voice, and the other Co-director was in a meeting. So I spoke with a different employee, and afterwards suggested I wait until the other Co-director finished his meeting, which I did. Then I had a much more thorough conversation, but it seemed like they were interviewing lots of people, and I got worried. So this weekend I tracked down the gallery director from the "You're Telling Me!" post at the Armory show, and asked if he would make a call on my behalf. He agreed, and theoretically, after I speak with him in more detail this week, that will take place.
  • My second round interview for market research was basically a repeat of the first, except this time I met with the director of the media area. I really did my best to convince him that I would be good for the job, but I'm not entirely sure I succeeded. On the one hand, I'm not really coming from the background they are accustomed to, but on the other hand, my aspirations match up well with the job. There are many reason I would like to have this job, but quite a number of arguments against it.

This job and the gallery assistant position are polar opposites. One involves ridiculously long hours, and committing for a few years, the other has very little overtime, and no expectations beyond the standard minimum full-time commitment. One pays quite well, the other quite poorly. One is corporate, slightly old-fashioned and located on in the Upper East Side, the other is contemporary, hip and located in Chelsea. Strangely enough, I can't really decide which I would prefer. I'm leaning towards the gallery, but of course there's really no reason to debate until I get an offer. Hence, "Living on a Prayer". Hold your breaths, the answers are coming.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home