Title

2.03.2005

Mythical Male Intuition

So when I said I nailed that stage manager interview, I may have been donning my rosy specs. What I should have said would be the following:

I mistakenly interpreted the successful brandishing of my creative flair as a sign that I was performing well during the interview. In fact, I was only increasing any irony that was already building when I presented myself as the perfect candidate for a job that I had no chance at landing. As previous evidence indicates, the world exists to make me suffer, thus any apparent success in interviewing is simply a tension-building pseudo-literary device to make my biography that much more laughable. I am a walking hyperbole, a modern-day harlequin.

End of Writing lesson. The moral of the story: no job for me [but at least they called...]

What have I learned from this experience? Primarily, my intuition blows. Subsequently, I am delusional. Let's explore this issue of intuition further. Going back to previous social situations, I recall my hypothesis for the limitations of [male?] intuition, myself included. As with many people, when it comes to judging relationship dynamics of third parties, I am pretty good. However, when I am one of the involved parties in a perceived dynamic, my intuition blows. I can cite many instances supporting this hypothesis, but for brevity's sake, let's just say I'm convinced.

What's next? I have an interview next week at a talent management agency. [Chalk up another tick mark on the expanding list of diverse occupations for which I have been considered.] When they first called me, they asked a few introductory questions to get an idea of my interest in the position. I made a terrible first impression, as I failed to remember which job (out of the dozens for which I had applied) we were speaking about. So I hung up after being told that they would get back to me about an interview, which I interpreted as, "We won't be getting back to you." Yet, in support of my hypothesis, my intuition in situations including me is infinitely fallible. They called back 30 seconds later to schedule an interview, leaving me befuddled as to what could have possible occurred during those 30 seconds, that could have determined whether or not they wanted to have me come in, and what had made them reach the decision to call me back. Now, my intuition tells me that anybody who wittingly chooses to work on behalf of the most psychotic people on earth [actors and models,] must be completely deranged themselves. Seeing as this is a third party intuitive judgment, I must be right, and needless to say, I would fit right in.

Quod Erat Demonstrandum. Care to challenge?

UPDATE: The law firm and the art gallery also declined my generous offer to work.

1 Comments:

  • I hope you're considering publishing this stuff down the road. You're our very own real-life modern day Dostoevsky character!

    hmm, have you thought of approaching a 20's-30's oriented magazine about a column documenting your NY job search from your psychological perspective? I suppose these things are more difficult to land these days, with blogs partially to blame. There are so many free blogs to read, the truly economically efficient and enterprising individual might decline to pay to read a column in a magazine.

    I'm still sick, but I hope on the road to recovery. Still straddling unluck and luck in love, not quite sure where gravity is going to pull me (of course, that's a foolish way of phrasing it...I mean, she must already know how she feels, so it's more a question of me realizing where gravity is already pulling me.)

    Good luck!

    By Blogger Duby, at 3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home