Title

1.27.2005

Better Suited Elsewhere

My interview today was located at a dance studio, which I thought was strange, even though this business deals with dance competitions. I'm not clear on the relationship between the studio and the business, but I showed up to this surreal scene where the hallways where packed with scantily clad teen girls. The room I was told to go to was a tiny rehearsal room with mirrored walls. I showed up about 20 minutes early, and managed to beat my interviewer who was scheduled to interview a couple of women before me. That pair showed up late, so I went first. [How can one honestly expect to be hired when he shows up to his interview late?] I had applied to do sound, so the interview started out aimed at my interest and abilities in mixing and DJing. Then I found out he only needed backups for sound, which sort of irked me. As the interview progressed, my theater experience came up, and he mentioned they did need a stage manager. So then he sort of re-interviewed me for that position. I think I nailed it. I was brandishing my creative flair, and this guy was eating it up. He gave me a scenario and asked me how I would handle it. After I explained the actions I would take, he said my intuitions were right on target, and he made a note on my résumé (always a good sign.)

Although the money for this job is kinda crappy, it sounds like fun. This business basically tours dance competitions, so their team travels to random places on the weekends to put together shows. Like any theater job, there isn't much sleep, but I've done that before. I'm supposed to hear back next week...

Unless you are unemployed like me, you're probably wondering what one does with all this free time. I could be out doing all these exciting things, but as it turns out, I can't afford to do anything. I've definitely gotten better at crossword puzzles, although the ones in the Metro and amNewYork don't pose much of a challenge. I'm also improving my handstand.

"What a senseless waste of human life."

1 Comments:

  • It is a rich and rare man who finds his fountains overflowing with idle time in this age of perpetual motion.

    I know you hate to hear things like that, so I apologize. But I can't hide my yearning for rest!

    I must get back to the reading (see what I mean?)
    I'm straddling luck and unluck in love at the moment, but I have not the time to sort it out! It's enough to drive one mad, or at least a little defeated and sad, to not have enough time to even consider what might have been had...
    ...but it's not all that bad. I'm just sick and need more sleep.

    Good luck with this latest round!
    love,
    dubes

    By Blogger Duby, at 12:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home