Title

1.10.2005

The Résumé Barrage Continues

I've sent out somewhere in the range of 15-20 résumés so far this month. And it's not as if these are just random places I want to work, these are places actually looking to hire someone. If these places didn't accept applications via e-mail, I probably couldn't afford all that bond paper and ink for printing out cover letters and résumés, not to mention postage. I often wonder if someone actually looks at my résumé when I send it in. Some of these places get so many, I find it hard to imagine they look at all of them.

Other progress: I arranged to meet with the director of a big time New York gallery, who is apparently a distant relative. When I went in, it was quickly established that she had no openings herself (Where have I heard that before?) but would be willing to get in touch with some people on my behalf. I was skeptical, but then she actually took some notes about me and my interests, and wrote down a few people to call. She's definitely the caliber of person that could help me, but we'll have to wait and see what comes of it.

I also went in for the follow-up interview at the photography firm, for which I had to pester the contact several times before I was able to set up an appointment. I tried my best to seem confident and not apprehensive, but this woman talks a lot, and I figured interrupting my interviewer would probably not be a good tactic. So I sort of mentally compiled my responses to her points, and when she was about to thank me for coming in, I jumped in and gave her my views. It was more like a debate with a statement and rebuttal than an interview, but I think I did well. Regardless, she won't be conducting second interviews until the end of the month, so nothing will be solidifying there for a while.

I'm not going to do one of my usual blog-post-concluding rants because I'm feeling relatively relaxed, and doing that generally gets me agitated and depressed. So I will digress, and give you some movie advice for the ones I've seen recently. See "The Life Aquatic". Do not see "House of Flying Daggers". The former is hilarious and touching, the latter, annoyingly melodramatic and awkwardly hyper-stylized. I know you are reading this, so leave comments.

2 Comments:

  • I completely agree with your movie reviews. The only way I could enjoy "The House of Fluing Daggers" was to let go of my expectations and pretend it was an intentional parody, a more subtle Kung-Pao: Enter the Fist. Otherwise, it was just too awful to enjoy. One of my friends at school thought it was very good. When I asked him how or why, he explained to me that he was sure it was a subtle parody.
    As for my summer job search, I'm up to 41 rejections and no interviews yet. I still have to apply for judicial internships. Who knows, maybe I'll be a legal intern with the undergrads at my dad's office in Marlboro. At least I'll be able to visit the kids at Fay School easily.
    I've gotten a nasty cold, which isn't pleasant, but this is looking to be a good semester. I have an extra class, so the work load is tough, but all the classes are interesting...Con law, torts, Crim law, and BLOODFEUDS, a class on icelandic sagas. Our first reading was Thorstein the StaffStruck. I am still hopelessly unable to talk to the most beautiful girl in the law school, but otherwise things are fine on the social front. Masturbation is reaching a local peak as the temporal distance from my last relationship increases. I would like a sexual partner and, theoretically, a relationship, but that seems like it would be a difficult thing to maintain while in law school. If the girl were outside of the school, I'd hardly see her and she'd get sick of my law talk. If she were in the law school, I'd see her all the time and hardly have space...now, a law girl who lives off campus...that could be a possibility, but then I'd have to walk to her place a lot. I would probably die of exposure. So unless the Fates twist the threads in some unpredictable way, I'll be growing more and more intimate with my hand this winter.
    Anywho, good luck with the new job front leads. I hope they pay off. Start leaving hints for that hot girl in your apartment, like a pair of worn undies outside her door or something. Never underestimate pherimones. You've always smelled good.
    Miss ya, buddy. Maybe I can come visit you for a couple days over my spring break (1st week of March)

    By Blogger Duby, at 3:53 PM  

  • You know that your comments can be read by anyone, right? Now all my readers are well informed of your autoerotic practices, and how horny you are. Or was that your goal, and you are using my blog as a personal ad?

    By Blogger jaggd, at 5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home