Title

12.09.2004

A Lucky Break, Perhaps?

Still no response from the museum... I'm going to call tomorrow and see if I can get a straight answer, which at this point looks like it will be a resounding "no". The interview at the ad firm earlier this week went okay. I think I did a good job of convincing them that I wanted the position, but a bad job of describing how I might actually go about doing it, which makes the former accomplishment null and void. Apparently they have a large applicant pool, many of whom have experience. All I have is the fact that I went to the same college as one of the main partners. But I really want the job, much more than the other ones I've been up for, and I know I could do it well. Of course, that's what everyone who applies says. So what makes me different, maybe that I'm willing to work for less? Maybe nothing? I'll have to wait until next week to see if I get called in for a second interview.

On another job front, I emailed about a job posting I found at an architecture firm, which apparently had been sitting up there for years. Obviously that job had been filled, but I got an email back saying they were looking for someone for a different, and infinitely more boring position. So I figured, why not? I went in for an interview today, and I got the sense that they were actually willing to hire me, and without interviewing a dozen other people. They are the first place that has asked for my references, and they did it right away. The downside is the position entails a lot of crappy mind-numbing work for the first few months, straightening out the administrative mess they've created for themselves. So if one of the other places comes through with an offer, I'll have to take it. If not, um... Hello reality.

1 Comments:

  • Jesse! I'm glad you linked this on your away message. Now I can keep up with you when I'm not studying for exams. Two more weeks...then back to Worcester. I'm not working too hard because I managed to convince my parents not be disappointed if I don't get straight As, but I did get myself to the point where I really have to be working constantly until Dec 22.
    I'm going through a summer job search right now, mostly D.C. and Boston. I sent 74 apps a couple weeks ago, and I'll probably send another 30 or so after finals. Whoopie! Thrilling stuff. I got high licking envelopes.
    Good luck with the advert job. Can you offer to work for less for the first X months? Do you want to?
    I'm sorry things are lonely now, but that will pick up in time. You're an amazing person, and gravity will eventually draw people around you and draw you to them. In the meantime, you've always been one of the people I know with the most interests, talents, and skills, plus an independence that allows you to make the most out of solitutde. That doesn't mean you should be welcoming this solitude or not feeling lonely, but what it does mean is that I'm excited to see what you create or develop in this time. The grass is always greener, pal, but I can't say I don't envy your current freedom and adventure to an extent. I'm having a great time, but every day I have to struggle to keep my head above the tepid water of corporate-firm achievement ambition...there's nothing wrong with corporations...in fact, I'm thinking about trying to use firm law as an instrument to gain the necessary experience to get me in-house at a place like Pixar...but I have to make sure I keep my creative side awake...I've been doodling a lot of pictures in Microsoft Paint and Adobe Elements...In the end, I'm foolishly romanticizing what is in reality a tough time for you...
    ...I'd better get back to studying. One day before my first exam. This should be an e-mail, not a comment. Anyway, keep up the hunt and keep up the Jesse. Rock, Rock On. Two songs for you:
    Harry Nilsson's "Everybody's Talking"
    and Paul Simon's "Only Living Boy in New York"
    (they both bid to be the theme song in the movie Midnight Cowboy....Nilsson won.)
    Ok, 3rd song....Nilsson's "I guess the Lord must be in New York City."
    Not uplifting songs, but good company anyway.
    (PS do you do any flash animation? fabric silk-screen? I bet you could come up with some hilarious / neat characters and cool designs...)

    By Blogger Duby, at 10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home