Title

7.26.2005

Picky

So I’ve decided to address a question to which I have no good answer in the hopes that someone who enjoys psychoanalysis will be able to suggest an explanation. Now I’m not an especially picky person in general… I’ll eat almost anything, I can get into all sorts of music and movies, I’m usually up for any activity, and when it comes to girls, I have a broad range of personalities and appearances which I find attractive. Of course, each category has its own glaring exceptions: for example, I don’t like sweet potatoes, I find most classical music and romantic comedies painfully dull, and I rarely enjoy going to clubs. And each of these exceptions has a reasonable explanation. However, the glaring exception to my appearance/personality preference is essentially unfounded. The question is this: why don’t I like Jewish girls?

I’m not saying I’m incapable of being attracted to a Jewish girl, but (in the cases where it isn’t obvious) when I find out a girl is Jewish, she automatically falls down a few rungs on my attractiveness ladder. Clearly, the average guy would be turned off by a JAP with a Long Island accent [just the thought makes me shudder] but even your everyday nice-looking chick who happens to be Jewish just doesn’t do it for me. I initially suspected it was some sort of rebellion against my heritage or whatever, and that I was forced to go to hebrew school through the third grade, but I like to think it has been long enough that I wouldn’t still hold a grudge. However, I won’t dispute claims that I haven’t matured much since age nine. One good theory is that I’m worried I’ll have to act Jewish again, which would suck. I’m not going to open up the big-ass can of worms and start talking about my religious beliefs (or lack thereof) and why Judaism doesn’t agree with them, but let’s just say I was pretty much finished with the religion in elementary school.

Given all this backstory, is there any justification for my discrimination against my own race? I’m not sure. Maybe, as it turns out, Jewish chicks are just not that hot. Are there any hot female Jewish celebrities? It already sounds like an oxymoron. Well, I hope this post has been entertaining, as always… though perhaps not as entertaining as Nancy Drew’s “killer rack” [see the post below…]

4 Comments:

  • isn't winona ryder (nee horowitz) jewish? she's hot. not sure if she practices. and how 'bout madonna, everyone's favorite faux jew?
    so does your moratorium only extend to ethnic jews?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:30 PM  

  • natalie portman is hot! and very jewish.

    who knows, maybe it has something to do with the standard of beauty being so...uniform nowadays. the more the world recognizes tall, blonde, slim white girls as what being hot is, the more people generally...just tend to agree.

    i'm still more of a brunette fan, myself.

    By Blogger jadis, at 5:16 AM  

  • jadis, i think you theory is valid, though it doesn't really apply to me. i prefer brunettes as well... in fact, tall, blonde, slim white girls are not even close to my ideal set of looks. actually, on the whole, i tend to find other races to be more attractive than my own. granted, i agree, natalie portman is hot,and madonna looks decent for an old lady [though i don't find winona very appealing.]

    i actually recently met a girl who i think is really attractive, and i found out she is jewish, though she doesn't really look it. so i guess, this is not a universal standard.

    By Blogger jaggd, at 11:16 PM  

  • :) actually, i knew this. just look at your "other bloggers"... nearly all of us asian! (alix is asian on the inside). clearly there is some latent affinity here :)

    By Blogger jadis, at 7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home