Title

10.27.2005

Ranguage

I've been terribly negligent of my blog as of late. Rather than tending to it as a ewe would her lamb, I've been forsaking it for activities not involving a keyboard and monitor. After spending well over eight hours umbilically [that should be a word] attached to my office pc, I have little desire to continue to type words of any sort. I actually think all the emails I write have begun to take a toll on my verbal communication skills. I've noticed that my ability to form coherent sentences has been deteriorating; in fact, I'm having trouble with the individual words. Yesterday, I definitely heard several sounds exiting my mouth which you would be pressed to find in any dictionary (regardless of language). Perhaps they resembled English words and could be perceived as clever combinations of existing words, but I'm pretty sure that "strecruit" and "afform" are essentially meaningless in most colloquial conversations. I think that one of little men who work language center of my brain is on vacation, because dozen of such words enter into my stream of consciousness narrative. Although I have been largely able to filter out these words before they become entangled in my vocal chords, they merit some sort of mention. Sometimes when there is no word to describe something, you have to make one up. Hobbes decided that wet leaves smell "snippid", and Will Ferrell (playing James Lipton) was relegated to describe a performance as "scrumtrilescent". Now I'll have a database of words that, as of yet, have not been assigned meanings, such as felunctuous, gartolean, trabigular, and spranty.

Which brings us to the almost-nearly-closely related link o' the day, your reward for enduring the above. Prepare yourself for the hilarity that is Engrish (http://www.engrish.com). Some of the clothing is especially funny. As a native speaker, I can only butcher the English language to a limited degree, but the Japanese have perfected this art. At least the Japanese only print our words on t-shirts and such without knowing their meanings... only Americans are stupid enough to have Japanese characters permanently tattooed on their bodies without knowing a single word of Japanese beyond "domo arigato (mr. roboto)". More lock and loll... [5 points if you get the movie reference; no googling allowed]


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home